Whether you have just moved into your first grownup apartment or recently purchased your dream home, your next step is likely going to be purchasing furniture. Because buying furniture-- especially quality furniture-- is a substantial expenditure, you are going to want to make sure that what you’re buying will stand the test of time, look great, and be a useful addition to your home. Let’s go over questions you should ask about buying furniture mistakes!
What Should I Look for When Buying Furniture?
One of the most common mistakes that you can make as a shopper is failing to measure your space. You need to make sure that whatever you’re buying is going to fit where you want it. More than that, buyers should examine doorways and hallways before purchasing. Sure, that sofa might look fantastic in your family room, but what good is that if you can’t even get it into your apartment? No one wants to pay to send a piece of furniture back to the store because they couldn’t even get it through the door.
With countless Instagram and Pinterest accounts bombarding us with “room inspo,” it’s easy to fall victim to trends. But odds are that functionality is important to you. Shoppers should keep in mind that furniture is very much an investment. Before you even start shopping, you need to evaluate your lifestyle demands. If you plan on hosting Thanksgiving every year, then it might be wise to look into a dining room table with an extendable leaf. Do you think you might have pets or children in the next few years? Then be sure to stay away from easily stained and delicate colors or materials.
How Much Do You Need to Spend on Quality Furniture?
A big misconception many shoppers have is that the more they spend on their furniture, the better the quality. And while this may be true for some items, you should really do your research to avoid getting ripped off.
- Many online sellers will give you a “great deal” that might cost you more in the long run. That cheap bedroom set might seem like an awesome idea now but when the bed frame breaks or the dresser drawer jams two months after purchase, you might find yourself wishing that you’d spent a little more.
- There really isn’t a formula for what to splurge on and where you should try to save, nor is there an exact number for what you should be spending. It completely depends on the brand of furniture and your needs. If you know that you never entertain, but love to spend your evenings lounging on the sofa, you might want to spend more money there than on a dining room table that you’ll never use.
- Keep your budget in mind. If you allocate $1000 then go into the store and find out that you are approved for $3000, it might be tempting to exceed the budget that you previously set. And while going over budget isn’t always going to be life-ruining, it’s best to stay on the low end, especially if you’re in the process of moving. Shoppers can often expect delivery charges or warranties that add to the bottom line substantially.
Does All Furniture Have to Match?
For years, the traditional thing to do was to purchase a furniture set of matching pieces. And although many furniture stores still sell matching sets, it has become more and more common to favor coordinating overmatching. In the long run, it completely depends on personal preference and the amount of time a shopper cares to put into decorating.
- Matching: Furniture that matches is all in the same style, material, wood, or color. Often sold as a matching set, it can be an easy one and done shopping trip for someone who wants some decent looking furniture to fill their space. But beware, matching furniture can often look boring and feel dated more quickly.
- Coordinating: Furniture that coordinates can be taken from several collections while maintaining continuity and cohesiveness. It might take longer to find different pieces that work well together, but in the long run, diversifying your furniture will give it a more designer look. Coordinating can also save you money-- instead of buying an entirely new collection of furniture, you can blend older pieces of furniture with new purchases if you want to give your space an update.
Now that you have all the information about common buying furniture mistakes, it’s time to go shopping! With furniture options for various price ranges and style preferences, Bel Furniture can serve as your one-stop-shop for all your furnishing and decorating needs.