Furniture shopping is a big expenditure. And unless you have the luxury of receiving inherited furniture or having a bottomless budget, odds are that you will be shopping for furniture that is built to last and timeless in appearance. However, as interior design trends come and go, it can be tempting to spend too much money on a piece that will look dated in a year. And because the last thing you want is to end up having to repurchase something big like a sofa or dining table, it’s in your best interest to look for something fad-free. Keep reading to learn more about timeless furniture and how to shop for decor that will never go out of style!
The Importance of Avoiding Trends
Some trends stick, but most of them are fleeting. And unlike wearable fashion, it’s much more difficult and expensive to swap out furniture for every season. Although it’s not a crime to fall for a few furniture fads, you should really keep your big pieces looking classic and timeless. If you want to be trendy, go buy a mason jar or inspirational sign, not a sofa. Trendy items also tend to be more cheaply made, because they aren’t built to last. Investing in a well-made, neutral-colored couch in a classic design and material as opposed to a bright-colored velvet couch is a much better way to invest your money.
Additionally, buying classic furniture does not mean that your style has to stay stationary. It is an asset because your purchases will evolve with you and your taste. Even if you start to change your style over the years, your key furniture pieces can remain the same. And you can still use accent pieces and accessories to express your personality while still looking chic and withstanding the test of time.
What Makes a Piece Timeless?
When looking for timeless pieces of furniture, it’s important to remember that understated makes a big statement. It can be tempting to veer towards bold patterns, colors, and designs, but realistically these pieces can only hold their appeal for so long, and will soon be replaced by another trend. Conversely, a simplistic piece with clean lines in a neutral color can find its way into any room of your home without looking out of place. And if you move or decide to redecorate, odds are that you can still find a place or function for these types of pieces no matter what you decide to do with the space.
Pieces That Never Go Out of Style
Certain staples will be seen in homes of all kinds for years to come. Check out our compiled list of some classic pieces that will never go out of style:
Lounge chair and ottoman
- Lounge chairs are a staple in most homes. To keep this piece timeless and functional, go for a leather upholstery for easy cleanup and a classic look.
Bed with an upholstered or wood frame
- Simple beds with classic designs are ideal when searching for a timeless piece. If you enjoy a traditional or mid century modern feel, a wood frame may be best for you. If you want something with a cozier feel or simply want something plush to rest your head against when you’re reading at night, an upholstered bed may be more your speed. Whichever you choose, be sure to gravitate towards neutrals like gray, white, tan, brown, or black. Even colors like navy or dark green can work as versatile pieces.
- Club chairs first appeared on the scene in France. The french name, fauteuil confortable, literally means comfortable chair; if you’ve ever seen one of these in the living rooms of a parent or grandparent, you know that this is 100% accurate. Original designs were typically made with leather upholstery, but now they can be found in a variety of fabrics and colors.
- Oriental rugs aren’t going anywhere anytime soon. In recent years, more geometric designs have been preferred but people will always come back to this classic. Not only are they eye-catching, but they bring a classic look while also adding color. This is great for those worrying that their space is too neutral, simplistic, or boring.
Wood tulip dining table
- Tulip dining tables are very popular in restaurants and coffee shops, but they can also be a great addition to your home dining room. Instead of relying on your four legs to stay upright, these kinds of tables are supported by a single stem. Because they are round and compact, tulip dining tables are great for those looking to furnish a small space.