When decorating your home, it’s easy to allow underused rooms to take a backseat. But even if you don’t have any upcoming guests visiting, it’s important to make sure your guest room is ready; you never know when a family member or friend may need a place to crash, and the last thing you want is to scramble to the room before the guest stay. Maintaining the perfect guest room goes further than just having an extra bed in your spare room. If you want to learn how to prepare a guest bedroom, keep reading! We’ll give you some great tips to help you make sure your overnight guests feel like they’re staying in a five-star hotel.
What Every Guest Bedroom Should Have
There are a few function and design elements to include in your guest room to help make sure that your visitors have a comfortable and relaxing stay. Not only do you want the house guests to feel at home and welcome, but you also want to give them easy access to anything they may require during their stay. Many guests may feel as though they are imposing just by visiting and would rather tough it out than ask you for something. Keep it all in easy reach for them by stocking the guest bedroom and bathroom.
- For many travelers, there is nothing more frustrating than living out of a suitcase. Clear out some closet space for your guests and supply them with spare hangers or an empty drawer to store their clothing! Not only will this make their lives a bit easier, but they’ll also be able to keep their clothes wrinkle-free and ready to wear.
Extra throw pillows and blankets
- Keep your guests comfy and cozy by supplying them with extra blankets and pillows on their beds. Whether they get cold at night or simply want to snuggle up for an afternoon nap, it’s a good idea to give them options.
- If your guest room has a television, make sure that the remote has fresh batteries and can be easily found by your guests. Put it on the nightstand or directly next to the television so they don’t have to go sleuthing for it when they want to watch something!
Fan or space heater
- Lots of people get hot or cold during the night, and some simply prefer to have the white noise of a fan to help them sleep. Giving guests a fan and/or space heater can help better replicate their usual sleeping arrangements and make them that much more comfortable.
What Furniture Should Be in a Guest Bedroom?
When it comes to furnishing a guest room, it’s best to keep things minimalistic but sleek and stylish. Here are our recommendations:
- Keep your guests comfortable with a full- or queen-sized bed. This will ensure that your guests can comfortably move around on the bed without overly compromising the walking space in the bedroom. And be sure not to skimp on supplying a good, quality mattress.
- Give your guests a place to store their belongings. This can also serve as a TV stand if your television is not wall-mounted.
- If there is no closet in your guest bedroom or it’s simply full of your own belongings, placing a standing closet in your guest bedroom will give your guests a place to hang their clothes to keep them wrinkle-free. You can also store any linens specifically designated for your guest bedroom, like sheets and bathroom or hand towels.
- A nightstand or bedside table is an essential element to any bedroom. Not only does it provide a convenient place to put a lamp, but it also provides storage for a charging cell phone, your remote, or any other small device.
- Providing a full-body mirror is a nice touch for your guests so they can feel great about their appearance before leaving the room.
How Do I Keep My Guest Bed Fresh?
If you rarely get visitors, your guest room may get a little stuffy and musty. Keep your mattress and linens fresh by using a mattress cover when the bed is not in use, regularly laundering your sheets, and storing sheets in a dry area. This will make sure they look and smell fresh, as well as preventing any molding or mildew. This will also give you the opportunity to regularly inspect your linens for wear and tear so that you can replace them accordingly before a guest arrives.
More Ways to Make Your Guests Feel at Home
- Clean the room
- Decorate minimally
- Put fresh flowers in the room
- Provide a bottle of water
- Learn your guests’ food preference
- Supply your guests with a set of keys
- Provide any additional information they need to know
Shop Affordable Furniture
You shouldn’t have to break the bank in order to comfortably decorate your guest bedroom. If you want to learn more about how to prepare a guest bedroom without spending an exorbitant amount of money, look no further than BEL Furniture. Our supply of high-quality, affordable pieces has exactly what you need to make your guests feel more comfortable. We’ve got pieces to fit every style, so visit us in-store or online today!